Exercise: Exploring drawing and painting

Exercise: Exploring drawing and painting

This exercise was focused on experimenting. I collected various papers and materials and I chose simple subjects to test and discover new interesting combinations. I believe it is an amazing experience and an exercise which has to be repeated often, to stimulate creativity and learn new interesting processes.
I will go through every single image explaining the procedure and the outcome of this research.
Support : Clothed paper on cardboard / Mediums: Acrylics/Poster paints/brushes
I didn’t particularly enjoy this support, especially with the poster paints. It is the first time I used them and they are pretty cheap. They are quite hard to use pure and they become quite transparent when diluted. The acrylics were way better on this support, smoother and covering better.


Found paper: heavy, soft and rough / Ballpoint pen/ Chalks + Acrylics + ballpoint pen
I found this paper pleasant to work with, particularly with the acrylic white paint I used for the bottom whale. I didn’t like the chalk but it was impressively fixed on the paper. I added anyway a fixative later which melted a bit the ink of the pen used to define the outlines.


Found paper: heavy, soft and rough / Black Indian ink / brush
This paper was a little finer than the previous one and I used a Japanese calligraphy brush with the ink. There was a bit of friction between brush and paper but it absorbed the ink wonderfully.


Tracing paper / Black Indian ink/brush
Ink goes perfectly with this paper. However the Japanese calligraphy brush released a big quantity of ink that caused the paper to wrinkle a bit.


Bristol paper 220 g / Letraset Promarker + ballpoint pen / Ink + fountain pen
This paper is super smooth and great to work with markers ( even though I don’t know how to use them properly!). I had some trouble with the ink because the paper looks almost waterproof in the beginning!
It took a while for the ink to be absorbed and also the paper reduces the capability of the water based colour to be modified for a short period of time, living in fact more signs visible.


Found paper: coarse, for packaging / Graphite stick/ Ballpoint pen
I didn’t like to work with the graphite stick, it didn’t really went where and how I wanted. I felt much more comfortable with the humble pen and the result was way better. I really like the paper but unfortunately it is really fragile and I couldn’t work with any liquid medium.

Corrugated paper/ Acrylics/ Poster paints / brushes
Both medium worked well with the support, even though it tended to wrinkle because of the quantity of water used to thin the colours.

Found paper: smooth cardboard / Black Indian ink with dip pen / permanent marker
The paper I used in this experiment is the inside part of a box of beers. I found this paper great particularly with the ink and dip pen. The nib ran smoothly on it and the ink was perfectly absorbed. I tried a bit of stippling and I believe the effect is really delicate and precise.

Found paper: coarse, smooth and light / ballpoint pen/ pencil
This paper is quite light but it worked well with the mediums I chose to use. I think particularly the white pen gives a great effect.

Newspaper/ Poster paints / brush
Poster paints worked particularly well with this coarse paper. I thinned them a bit more and the brush was running quite smoothly.

Moulded acid free watercolours paper 300g / watercolours with brush / ink + fountain pen
This was probably my favourite test. I love watercolours but it was actually the first time I used the proper paper with them and it was just great. I also tried to splatter some ink and then make a fish out of the stain adding few details with a fountain pen.

4_0003 (2)
Found paper: medium heavy, rough / charcoal / permanent markers
I have never used charcoal before and it really surprised me because it wouldn’t fix on the paper at all! I could have blown away the drawing with just a finger, so I put some fixative.
The permanent markers were very good on this paper though.

Cartridge paper 110 g / water soluble pencils and brush / pencils
I love the water soluble pencils and they worked very well on this support. The simple pencils also worked well but because of the slightly rough surface of the paper it might have looked better on a larger scale.

4_0004 (2)
Found paper: smooth, light / charcoal
I tried again the charcoal on a different paper to check the reaction and as the previous experiment it has revealed to be very unstable. Again, I had to put some fixative.

Multi technique paper 250 g / charcoal and ink / Coffee and ink
This was a very interesting experiment: because this charcoal was flying all over the places, I decided to fix it with some red ink. I splashed it over the surface and then dabbed the colour to cover the figure. The result is really interesting in my opinion.

I also decided to experiment with a natural colour, so I used my old espresso to wash a portion of the sheet. Once dried I worked on it with inks. I really love the result, perhaps I should have used darker tones to contrast the background.
The paper reacted very well in both cases.

Found paper: smooth, very light / magazine cut outs / ballpoint pen
This paper was so light that I thought the only thing it could support was just more layers of paper. I used in fact simple magazines cut outs, a light crafts glue and white ballpoint pen. I am really satisfied and happy with the outcome and I really enjoyed the process!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s