For this fourth project I started off with a portrait, and particularly a self-portrait.
I was planning to get the portrait done in back drawing, on two different background colours, one for the hair and one for the skin tone. Firstly I sketched my portrait from a mirror onto paper. Then I traced this sketch onto another sheet, to have a reference when back drawing and to select the lines I wanted to reproduce.
I mixed the colours for the base and roughly spread them with a palette knife in the central area. I didn’t use any registration method on purpose, to obtain a slightly shifted image, which hopefully would have turned more interesting and expressive.
I took 2 prints of my background colours, the first one on a coloured paper and the second on a white one.
A printed a third time with the same colours on white paper, this time applying them with a brush.
Once I had my backgrounds done I started with the back drawing.
The first print on coloured paper was back drawn using a ballpoint pen.
The second print has instead been back drawn with a coloured pencil.
Finally, the third print back drawing has been obtained taking a second impression of what the previous back drawing left on the plate.
I am really satisfied with all of the portraits, and I find all of them very interesting, however the one I think stands out the most is the first one.
I went on with a still life, sketching 3 of them. In the first place I decided to go for the matryoshka doll so I started cutting masks from the drawing. I decided that I wanted to have an oval frame and I rearranged the masks of the doll so they could fit in it. But I didn’t think that I would actually need some kind of guide to align the shapes through the various stages, so when it came to printing the faces and the apron I messed it up.
I decided to go for another subject, a jam jar, a toast and a knife.
This time I traced the drawing on another sheet so that I could use it as my guide for registration. This second time was definitely better than the first one but I must say I struggled quite a lot, maybe especially because I felt it was quite difficult to get a good definition of the shapes, due to the technique itself and so, making it really hard to create a recognisable still life.
I also tried using some objects to give texture, but the result was very poor, I guess the best way to make textures stand out is by using a press instead of hand printing.
Furthermore, it looked to me that layering those printing inks too many times didn’t allow them to dry properly, so when I tried to back draw the label of the jam vase, it turned out really weird.
The abstract composition was the best to realise. I tried to plan it a bit in advance but I confess that I let myself go on this one and that is why I felt I reached good result enjoying the process.
For the first layer in violet, I used some stripe shaped mask teared from a newspaper and a bamboo mat I found in the kitchen to give some texture.
For a second layer I cut some shapes from a folded piece of paper (the kind of things I was always doing when I was a kid!) and used yellow ink, while on the other side I directly squeezed some white ink on the plate, which gave nice circles.
The next step was splashing some red colour (this was acrylic) and working it with the stick of a brush. I loved the way it melted with one of the white circles.
Finally I added some back drawing in black ink mixed with some blue.
I realised I liked the result more because I didn’t have precise expectation on this one, being an abstract. I find mono printing really unpredictable and even though I think this is the beautiful side of it, it also is the hardest aspect to control, when you are trying to refer to reality.
Lastly I worked on a landscape. I imagined an industrial landscape and I did a quick sketch.
The first layer I printed has been the background, which I textured with a feather. Even though some of my fingerprints are visible I quite liked the result, as the shapes obtained together with the colour I used reminded me of trees.
I printed the top hill as a second layer, using a palette knife directly on the plate and darkening the same colour used for the background.
The next step has been back drawing in black the thin structures onto the background and over printing them with the dark silhouette on the top of the hill.
I then painted with a brush onto the plate the two darker hills in the bottom, texturing the darkest corner with a smaller feather.
the final touch has been the smoke coming out of the factories chimneys.
I quite liked the final result of this landscape, even though I still found difficult to texture the ink and to plan everything to get a what is in my mind.